HTSS: Day Two, Post-Prandial Cravings

1:46pm "Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb."

Oh, I could do with a cigarette about now. Not--oddly--because I am stressed, but rather because I am happy. I did the revisions to my article that I needed to do this morning, and I'm looking forward to an afternoon of reading and starting to think about my next project. I've just been to the church to arrange for some flowers for Sunday. It's hot, the cicadas are singing, the dog is crashed in the hallway near to the air conditioner. Life is good, I am happy. I could so use a cigarette to celebrate. I'd take it out on the porch, sit in one of the plastic green Adirondack-style chairs, light up and drink in the smoke like a tonic. Then I'd breathe ever so smoothly, enjoying every drag as much as I possibly could. Ah, and then how peaceful I'd feel. How beautiful everything would look. How rich the colors, how vivid the heat. If only it were possible to have a cigarette every so often, like this. If only they weren't so addictive. If only I could smoke as I drink, infrequently, for pleasure. If only....

Time for some tea and maybe a game of Solitaire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gut Reaction

How to Be God-Right

The Sworn Book of Professor Peterson

Medieval History 101: The Unauthorized Version

Hot Button Issues, No. 4: Talking Politics